Data Cabling Supervisor
Job Description – Data Cabling Supervisor
Ideally located in the Surrey, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire Counties
Reports to: Service Delivery Manager
Due to the continued growth of contracts with clients such as Retail, Education, Commercial and Government an opportunity has arisen for an experienced working (Hands On) Data Cabling Supervisor to join a knowledgeable and friendly engineering team. The appointed candidate will be responsible for delivering all aspects of structured cabling data installations and associated services and managing engineering teams on site. The individual should hold the SSSTS (Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme) qualification to enable responsibility for the Health and Safety during on site works and for the teams reporting to them. Must be fully conversant with industry standards of all aspects of data cabling installation. Must be fully conversant with testing of installations using the Fluke DSX series testers. Must be able to fault find and fix in the event of test failures. Ability to read drawings and understand job packs issued detailing works to be undertaken. Responsible for delivering Toolbox Talks to the teams on site. Preferably fibre conversant also aligned to the aforementioned copper elements as described.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Working with Project Managers to deliver work packages as the teams Supervisor.
• Responsible for the on-site Health & Safety of works and where applicable, attending daily briefings when working under a Principal Contractor.
• Responsible for the delivery of Toolbox Talks to engineers.
• Responsible for material deliveries and reporting to the Project Managers.
• Responsible for maintaining site diaries during the delivery of work packages.
• Supplying where applicable or as directed, daily end of day reports to the Project Managers which details works progress, any issues or material shortages in good time to enable resolution.
• Leading by example and ensuring engineers are as productive as possible.
• On site installation, testing and termination of Cat 5e, 6 & 6a copper cabling & associated containment.
• On site installation, testing and termination of fibre optic cabling and associated containment.
• Containment installation skills to include: Steel wire cable tray, metal conduit, plastic conduit, and plastic trunking.
• Site Surveys and ability to provide Scope of works and Bill of Materials documentation.
• Fault finding and rectification of issues on site, including proactive liaison with colleagues to find a solution.
• Ensure that all works are carried out to the job sheet specification and company expectations.
• Demonstrates appropriate decision-making skills – displays a willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgement and include appropriate people in the decision-making process when necessary.
• Delivering excellent customer service to the cabling Company Customers
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the Service Delivery Manager or Project Managers
KPIs and Measures
• Ensure 100% of assigned work is completed in the time scales provided.
• Ensure the internal recording system is maintained and accurately reviewed.
• Ensure communication with the project manager on an ongoing basis regarding each project.
• Prepare Personal Development Plan before every review meeting.
• Will have over 3 years’ experience working in a similar supervisory role.
• Will have the ability to read architectural drawings.
• Will have experience in installation of cat 5e, 6, 6a and fibre cabling.
• Will have the ability to prepare quantities from specifications and drawings.
• An excellent understanding of health and safety practice
• Experienced in the setting up, use and understanding of the results from a Fluke DSX8000/5000 or similar test equipment.
• Experienced at the safe and correct use of ladders and other access equipment.
• Experienced at the correct and safe use of power tools.
• Hold a ECS skills card, designating their trade.
• CNCI Copper & Fibre qualified is a preference.
• PASMA/IPAF Certified is a preference
• SSSTS or SMSTS is a pre-requisite.
• Asbestos Awareness certified
• Manual Handling certified
• English Language (written and verbal) and mathematics to a GCSE level or equivalent.
• Should be able to demonstrate good communication skills, written, over the phone and face to face.
• No criminal record
• Candidate must have a full clean driving license.
As part of the company’s compliance to The Health & Safety at Work Etc Act 1974, ISO9001 for Quality and ISO14001 for Environmental, there are several key objectives that are issued each year upon management review that we expect all staff to work towards in order for the company to meet these objectives and include but are not limited to:
• Compliance to all legislative and British Standard requirements
• Compliance to associated accreditation bodies schemes from NSI, BAFE, LPCB, FIA and others as required.
• To maximise customer satisfaction with the services provided by The Cabling Company
• Working to reduce, renew & recycle any waste on and off our sites including our of Experienced in the setting up, use and understanding of the results from a Fluke DSX8/5000 or similar test equipment offices
• To protect the environment and ensure use of toxic materials is avoided where possible.
• Staff will work to a best safe practice and ensure that their actions do not cause harm unto themselves or others.
• Staff will not tamper with any issued PPE or plant machinery that it may cause harm unto themselves or others.
The typical working environment will be customer sites, including building sites, retail shops, outdoor sites, Education and NHS Sites. The role requires that the candidate will be available to work evenings, weekends and bank holidays on request, some projects do go further afield so flexibility is required, as well as being able to stay away from home for projects.
The job requires that the Supervisor is able to lift and move equipment from floor to desk regularly. Occasionally you may be required to travel long journeys to complete customer support, installation or project tasks.
Company pension (After probation period)
20 days holiday