Fibre Installation Engineer
Security Clearance: Role will be subject to holding a minimum of SC clearance
High level overview:
- Support and be part of the Data Centre Installation team.
- Deliver and supervise site teams and installation/commissioning activities, ensure all works/projects are completed on time, in budget and that quality of work is maintained along with a professional site team at all times.
Key responsibilities for this job:
- Work closely with the Installation Manager and other team members to ensure the success and profitability of the team.
- Effectively supervise an installation/commissioning team; ensuring work is completed in a timely and professional manner ‐ exceeding both client and customer expectations; liaising with various departmental associates to achieve customer satisfaction and installation completion.
- Ability to implement work pack instructions & produce red‐line markup diagrams.
- Prepare and interpret spreadsheets, customer documents & technical drawings.
- Ensure completion of works within project time scales.
- Prepare RAMS – with technical content support from the team as required.
- Detailed daily & weekly site reports – internal & customer facing as required.
- Ensure correct allocation of manpower for onsite activities.
- Management control of site variations with client.
- Carry out, to a high level of competence, the installation, construction and splicing of all types of fibre optic technologies, including UG, OPGW, Skywrap and ADSS joints, (multi‐mode and single mode fibre) & blown fibre.
- Carry out, to a high level of competence the installation of structured cabling systems such as‐ Cat5e UTP/STP, Cat6 UTP/STP & Cat6a UTP/STP with the ability to terminate and test cables to a high standard. Competent and experienced in testing, tracing and fault‐finding data cabling using a Fluke DSX.
- Carry out, to a high level of competence the installation of floor mounted and wall mounted communication cabinets and installation of various containment systems i.e. raceway, tray, basket, trunking and conduit.
- Be fully competent in, and understand the use of, OTDR and ILM test equipment for testing purposes on both multi‐mode and single mode cables and to produce and analyse accurate test documentation, and prepare client facing reports.
- Carry out, to a high level of competence, the installation and construction of ODF’s, termination shelves and other internal fibre construction jobs, including cable containment & internal cabling.
- Supervise and manage on‐site subcontractors.
- Provide technical support & assistance to the installation team.
- Mentor site engineers.
- Improve site efficiencies on site, ensuring any inefficiencies as a result of customer actions (or non‐actions) are properly recorded and presented to management.
- Undertake Site Surveys where required.
- Report effectively to the Installation Manager on a daily, weekly and as required basis. Report clearly and accurately on progress percentage complete at site against original and revised scope of works.
- Foster good customer relationships.
- Organise, plan, and prioritise work as required in line with overall agreed priorities. Operate under own initiative seeking guidance when required.
- Support the Data Centre sales team in a pre‐sales capacity.
- Provide standby cover as required on a rota basis.
- Work in accordance with company and customers’ Health and Safety requirements.
- Acquire comprehensive knowledge of company structure cable design and implementation.
- Responsible for recording and planning cable runs in the Data Centre Infrastructure tool, identifying any issues and creating installation plans where necessary.
- Liaise with Technology technical teams with respect to Data Centre installations.
- Promote with the customer, both internally within Technology, and throughout the company, a helpful, amenable, and positive image for the Data Centre team; this to be achieved through constructive and co‐operative engagement with all areas.
- Fibre Fusion Splicing and jointing
- Structured cabling installation
- Copper installation, jointing and connections
- Working knowledge of copper and fibre testing, OTDR and ILM
- Cable containment
- Compiling Test Result Packages
- Competent IT skills on Microsoft Office
- A responsible attitude and behave in a manner appropriate to the position
- The ability to make decisions, to ‘think on their feet’, and to communicate and present information effectively
- Good spoken and written communication skills
- The ability to plan and prioritise own work, and those of others
Advantageous but not essential
- Installation of Ribbon fibre
- Previous experience using a Data Centre Infrastructure Management tool (e.g. Nlyte)
- Experience of working in a Data Centre environment
- Good knowledge of Data Centre cabling infrastructure
- One or more of: CCTV/PA/Wi‐Fi/Assess Control installation, testing and commissioning