Field Services Engineer
Field Services Engineer
Overall purpose of the job:
To undertake site Installation activities and as required lead the site team and ensure all works/projects are completed on time, in budget and that quality of work is maintained along with a professional site team at all times. NB: Sites will vary and will include Utilities, renewables, factories and Data Centre sites as the business requires.
Key responsibilities for this job:
- To work closely with the Field Service Manager and other team members to ensure the success and profitability of the team.
- Completion of works within project time scales
- To effectively manage a installation team; ensuring work is completed in a timely and professional manner – exceeding both client and customer expectations; liaising with various departmental associates to achieve customer satisfaction and installation completion.
- Ability to implement work pack instructions & produce red-line mark up diagrams.
- To improve site efficiencies on site.
- To ensure that any inefficiencies at site as a result of customer actions (or non-actions) are properly recorded and presented to Project Manager/Field Services Manager.
- To report on progress percentage complete at site against original and revised scope of works.
- Detailed daily weekly site reports – internal & customer facing as required.
- Ensure allocation of manpower resource with skill set capability.
- Management control of site variations with client.
- Ensure all site personnel adhere to required site & company’s procedures, produce site quality plans & manage projects under CDM as required (training support to be given).
- Site Surveys.
- Management & control of sub – contractors on site.
- To provide technical support & assistance to site install team.
- Mentoring of site engineers.
- To carry out, to a high level of competence, the installation, construction and splicing of all types of fibre optic technologies, including UG, OPGW, Skywrap and ADSS joints, (multi mode and single mode fibre) & blown fibre.
- To carry out, to a high level of competence the installation of structured cabling systems such as- Cat5e UTP/STP, Cat6 UTP/STP & Cat6a UTP/STP with the ability to terminate and test cables to a high standard. Competent and experienced in testing, tracing and fault-finding data cabling using a Fluke DSX.
- To be fully competent in, and understand the use of, OTDR and ILM test equipment for testing purposes on both multi mode and single mode cables and to produce and analyse accurate test documentation, and prepare reports.
- To carry out, to a high level of competence, the installation and construction of ODF’s, termination shelves and other internal fibre construction jobs, including cable containment & internal cabling.
- To foster good customer/Supplier relationships.
- To provide standby cover as required on a rota basis.
- To work in accordance with company and customers’ Health and Safety requirements.
- Conversant with MS Word/Excel/Project/Outlook & Databases.
- A responsible attitude and behave in a manner appropriate to the position.
- Good spoken and written communication skills.
- The ability to make decisions, to ‘think on their feet’, and to communicate and present information effectively.
- The ability to plan and prioritise his own work.
- The ability to produce and interpret spreadsheets, customer documents & project plans.
- The ability to prepare RAMS – with technical content support from the team as required
- Integrity focus and will show initiative.
- Thorough understanding of Health & Safety at Work.
- A willingness to learn and take on new emerging technologies.
- Fibre Fusion Splicing and jointing.
- Structured cabling installation.
- Copper installation, jointing and connections.
- Working knowledge of copper testing.
- One or more of: CCTV/PA/Wi-Fi/Assess Control installation, testing and commissioning.
- Cable containment.
- Compile Test Result Packages.
- Competent IT skills on Microsoft Office, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Internet.
- Site Lead/Managing Site Team, including sub-contractors.