Data Centre Technician
Data Centre Technician
Location: Woking, Surrey
Purpose of the role:
Reporting to the EMEA Data Centre Senior Technician the individual will operate as a member of the Production Services Team ensuring that Technical Support Group consistently deliver infrastructure services and projects to client’s business units. The Data Centre Technician will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of all Data Centre (DC) facilities throughout EMEA – primarily in Woking.
The role is focused on assisting with the delivery of exceptional quality service to the clients Production Data Centre environments. It will allow business partners and users of technology services to be competitively advantaged by being agile at all times. This includes, but is not limited to, being responsible for:
- Assist in the monitoring of procedures and systems at the IT data centre – day-to-day and project
- Assist in monitoring environmental thresholds (performance & capacity planning) for power, UPS, generator, floor plans, etc
- Assist in monitoring temperature, cooling and humidity for DataCentre
- Assist in network support and fibre patching Assist in supporting cabinets configurations
- Assist in Installing routers, switches, servers and their builds inline with IT requirements
- Assist in ensuring adequate monitoring of DC facility, reporting incidents promptly and managing to resolution
- Monitoring and fixing system faults with the aid of Remedy helpdesk software package
- Following Change Control procedures to implement schedule changes
- Liaising with 3rd party service providers and system support engineers
- Working unsupervised on projects or part of a remote project team
- Undertake the daily actions defined on the relevant site checklist
- To ensure that the technology environment is secure at all times
- Attend site at the agreed time ensure any fault is handled through to completion even if required to stay additional time
- To seek assistance from the appropriate department within IT Infrastructure when unsure of a particular system or service.
- Ensuring notes and documentation is completed to stop future recurrences
- To install hardware systems and basic operating system from documented instructions designated for the disaster recovery site
- 12 x 7 on call rota
- Shift system including weekend site visits
- Able to work alone
- Follow power down and emergency DR scripts on a variety of systems (could be out of hours, at short notice).
- Represent the firms interests in all aspects of the IT infrastructure and IT environment
- Able to provide precise technical and/or non-technical explanations on system status/issues to management
- To be aware of all technical support process and responsibilities Technical Knowledge Technical knowledge required to operate effectively within this role.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems, Networking disciplines, front panel reboots on servers & basic server maintenance (RAM, processors, HDD’s, PCIE cards, etc…)
- Experience with Microsoft products and their integration and implementation alongside third party products.
- Full understanding of structured cabling infrastructure
- A working knowledge and understanding of an enterprise SAN environment
- Good knowledge of the Data Centre environment
- Minimum 2 years IT experience in a medium / large Investment Banking environment
- Excellent verbal & written communications skills
- Proven customer facing experience
- Team player attitude – willing to assume problem ownership and resolve accordingly.
- Ability to multi-tasks
- Building servers, cable management, patching, racking and stacking
- Qualifications and Training (academic, professional and/or banking qualifications 😉
- ITIL foundation principles and use of best practice processes, service support and service delivery
- Ideally have CDCTP certification