Data Cabling Support Engineer
Primarily this role will involve working as either part of a team or as an individual in various customer specific working environments (e.g., commercial, public body, data centre, retail etc.) Delivering and supporting project related activities whilst ensuring that all works carried out comply to both industry and customer specific standards whilst reporting to both the customer and your Project Manager. Due to the nature of the Support Engineer role, you will be required to learn and implement a number of customer specific systems, for which both on-site and off-site training will be provided. You will also, dependent on the contract requirements, be required to be part of any customer specific Out of Hours coverage rota for which you will receive an on-call allowance in addition to your agreed salary and any overtime payments. Due to the hiring company’s extensive customer base you must be able and prepared to travel UK wide with some overnight/away working, and again dependent on the customer and the support agreement in place, there may also be scope for potential working in mainland Europe.
• Carry out customer Moves Adds and Changes requests to a high standard.
• Learn customer systems and develop new skill sets.
• Uploading of basic active equipment configurations to pre-approved customer specifications.
• Provide regular progress reports to the Supervisor or Project Manager / Operations Manager.
• Complete site surveys and pass on to Project Manager.
• Create project documentation as required.
• Manage project variations and communicate to the Project Manager / Operations Manager.
• Ensuring quality control and tidy work areas are maintained at all times.
• Maintain regular, effective, and accurate communications with customers, team members and stakeholders.
• Managing expectations and building strong, professional relationships.
• Maintaining awareness of all outstanding tasks, issues and commitments ensuring that all elements are dealt with efficiently and in a timely manner.
• Assisting with implementing new processes and procedures, inputting ideas and solutions where possible.
• Attend meetings and conference calls when necessary
• Adherence to Company Health & Safety Policies.
Person Specification Essential Behaviour and Skills/Competencies
• Strong patching and fault-finding skills.
• Demonstrable technical knowledge and installation experience of Fibre, Copper (both UTP and shielded) cabling systems
• Demonstrable technical knowledge and installation experience of Wi-Fi communication systems
• Demonstrable knowledge, understanding and usage of patching schedules.
• Client focused with a drive to deliver excellent service.
• Organised, detail orientated and punctual.
• Able to multi-task.
• Flexibility – able to take on additional tasks/responsibilities.
• ECS card holder
• Current holder of site-specific certifications, e.g., IPAF, BTEC Level 3 (Copper and Fibre) etc.
• Full UK driving licence.
• Competent user of Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook).
• Educated to GCSE level (Maths and English minimum) or equivalent.
Desirable Behaviour and Skills/Competencies
• SC cleared, but not essential
• Current holder of relevant Health & Safety certifications, e.g.,
• Asbestos awareness, COSHH, Emergency First Aid at Work etc.
• CNCI Copper and Fibre qualified.
• Good understanding of network infrastructure